2016年4月17日 星期日

[ 英語發燒句 ] Part-36

194. "她我可高攀不起" 
A. I think you should ask Cindy out on a date when she comes to get the document from you.
B. Cindy? You mean the lawyer who graduated from Harvard? I think she is out of me league.

Note. league 常指 "聯盟, 同盟", 在此表示 "級別; 水平" 的意思. 



195. "你真是與眾不同" 
A. I was at a job interview yesterday, and I spilled my coffee all over the interviewer. When I took off my shirt and handed it to him so that he could clean up the mess, he told me to leave.
B. You took your shirt off during a job interview? You are something else!

Note. something else 字面意思為 "別的東西", 引申為 "與眾不同" 之意. 


196. "我現在麻煩大了" 
A. Is it true you lost your job and can't pay the rent this month?
B. Unfortunately, yes. I am up the creek without a paddle.

Note. up the creek without a paddle 字面表示 "逆流溯溪而上卻沒有船槳" 而引申表 "處境困難; 陷於僵局" 之意. 


197. "我們又得從頭開始" 
A. The advertising campaign didn't work, so we have to think up a new one.
B. Great. We're back to square one.

Note. back to square one 源自於一種叫 "蛇梯棋" 的棋盤遊戲 (board game), 運氣若不好, 擲出的骰子會讓玩家回到原點, 重新開始. 故 back to square one 引申事情到最後沒有任何進展或徹底失敗.





沒有留言:

張貼留言

[Git 常見問題] error: The following untracked working tree files would be overwritten by merge

  Source From  Here 方案1: // x -----删除忽略文件已经对 git 来说不识别的文件 // d -----删除未被添加到 git 的路径中的文件 // f -----强制运行 #   git clean -d -fx 方案2: 今天在服务器上  gi...